These guidelines are intended to help you, the funeral provider, comply with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC or Commission) Funeral Rule. The Funeral Rule went into effect on April 30, 1984. The Commission revised the Rule early in 1994; revisions became effective later that year.
The Funeral Rule requires you to give consumers accurate, itemized price information and various other disclosures about funeral goods and services. In addition, the Rule prohibits you from:
• misrepresenting legal, crematory, and cemetery requirements;
• embalming for a fee without permission;
• requiring the purchase of a casket for direct cremation;
• requiring consumers to buy certain funeral goods or services as a condition for furnishing other funeral goods or services; and
• engaging in other deceptive or unfair practices.
top of page
bottom of page